Wednesday 23 April 2008

Fast Planning?


I read an article in Campaign this week about whether the art of planning should be fast-tracked in the modern age, or whether we should think things to death. It was quite interesting, as many of the commentators were into this fast way of thinking.

I think that there is a difference between speed and simplicity though. A simple strategy is going to work wonders over a complicated one, but if you end up getting there by thinking through and around everything, then so be it. I don't think that there are such rigid rules about these things. Sometimes the first, freshest, fastest idea is the best one and the right one to go with and other times, in more complex brand cases, thought is the only way to clarity.

I mean, there's the worry that with this quicker thinking that you might just lose the point and end up totally off-brand and a bit too 'out there'. Don't get me wrong 'out there' is good, if it's differentiating and fits. But I am still of the opinion that rationale and thought is important, it gives ideas a grounding in reason. Maybe, it's my philosophical background, but to me, there's nothing wrong in having a good old think in some cases, a quick ideas flash in others

No comments: